The next day, much to our dismay, we realized we'd need to get professional help (no, not marriage counseling), but help to get the water properly dried up so we wouldn't get the dreaded 'mold/mildew' growing in our house. I called a company called First Response, and boy, they responded, and quickly! They were in our house, tearing out flooring, pulling up carpet, removing insulation under our house, and moving furniture within 30 minutes. Then, they had to leave The Fans in our house. They left 5 HUGE, INDUSTRIAL sized fans (and 1 under the house), and 1 dehumidifier in our home within a space approx. 400 sq. feet. The fans were LLLLLOOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDDD!!!!! If we wanted to talk to each other, we had to yell. The only place we could communicate (besides playing charades) was in our upstairs bonus room. For one night, all 4 of us slept in our upstairs room together. It was definitely an adventure. I can see having slumber parties together in the future, but the age of 3 and 14 months is not the optimal age for children to participate in a slumber party. We did get some sleep that night, but I took the girls to Charlotte the next day, and we didn't come back until the fans were gone from our house (good riddance, and never come back!).
So, now we're just waiting to find out more information from our insurance company so we can start the process of repairing our house. We'll have to replace the laminate flooring, get new padding (possibly new carpet) in SB's bedroom and our bedroom, new flooring in the hall bathroom and under the washer/dryer, and repair the cabinetry in the bathroom. The flooring is really just an inconvenience, what I really want back is use of our hall bathroom (the toilet is currently sitting in the bathtub, thus eliminating the ability to use either bathroom fixture - at least the toilet isn't sitting on the back porch).
Poor SB really didn't know she had done anything wrong, and we didn't fuss at her or punish her for leaving the faucet running. But, we did have several conversations about not being allowed to turn on the sink without first getting permission. So far, she's asked us every time (that we know of). And sometimes I just have to laugh when I hear her playing and she talks to herself about "the flood (and she's not talking about Noah)" or "all that water that was on the floor."
Oh Kris! I am so sorry! I'm not at all surprised that you handled the whole ordeal with incredible grace and patience. I hope it all gets restored soon.
ReplyDelete